Journeying through the industries of freelance writing and music

A collection of thoughts and experiences related to the industries…and whatever else I should decide to post.
Thanks for stopping by, and may the joy and peace of God rest on you now and always.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A Day to Celebrate

There’s always something special about the “official” national release date of your CD when it’s all your own music. Especially if you have been through a lot to get to that point. But today is certainly a bright spot in the midst of my journey as a music artist and freelance writer.

It’s been interesting to watch things unfold among the various radio stations that are taking an interest in music from this newest album, Draw Me Into Your Presence, and there have also been some fun surprises along the way. Perhaps the one that’s the most fun for me personally has been that several Southern Gospel radio stations have taken a liking to the song “Hear His Call.” Totally unexpected as far as I was concerned. With all my “Broadway style” vocal training, never in a million years did I expect that my music would be played on Southern Gospel stations, but I have no complaints about that, of course. The modern-day parable set to music paints a word picture in the minds of listeners that apparently resonates with them. I see it as another blessing among many that have come my way.

The last several months have been a time of running hard toward the presence of the Lord and trying to determine where He was leading. I found myself recalling a concept I read in a Rick Joyner book called Overcoming Evil in the Last Days some years ago. Rick was a flight instructor before going into the ministry. He always taught his students that when they were flying in situations with restricted visibility (confusion), that they needed to trust their instruments and not the way that the plane felt to them. They needed to hold their position according to what the instruments said. He compared the instruments to the Bible.

Another way to look at it is that during times of turmoil, we need to trust the Lord and not lean on our own understanding (or feelings). When we acknowledge Him, He’ll direct our path. I found that as I continued to do what I was sure the Lord had been directing me to do before the massive storm hit my life and I also stayed in line with the Word, that slowly, the storm clouds lost their seemingly overwhelming power. In some ways, it felt like I was running on yesterday’s vision. Yet God was and is still moving in amazing ways in my life, giving me some needed clarity and the boldness to follow through. Sometimes there’s even some joy as I consider that He still has a future planned for me – it just looks different than what I had initially anticipated.